the source of blessing and joy - 04/05/11


Scripture: Psalm 5:11-12
11 But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. 12 Surely, Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.

Observation:
A strong link exists between dependence on the Lord and joy. The world tempts me to seek out and find my own happiness. God calls me to joy in Him. There is gladness and joy for those who take refuge in the Lord. The Lord is the protector of his people.

There is a difference for the person who knows the Lord and follows his commands. Theirs is a life of joy, gladness, protection, rejoicing, and blessing. The Lord surrounds them with favor.

Our protection comes from the Lord rather than from any other source. Human efforts at protection are mirages at best. They may seem to be impregnable fortresses, but are nothing but a house of cards. On the other hand - our God protects with his love and his strength.

Application:
Seek the Lord, obey his commands and priciples, and take refuge in him. It seems to be such a simple concept. Go to the Lord for joy rather than seek entertainment outside of Christ. Find protection in the name of the Lord rather than in human effort. This means that I need to present my requests to the Lord and let him provide the safety and blessing that I need. Trust and obedience are the paths to blessing.

Prayer:
Today, Lord, I come before you as your child. I trust in your promises to watch over and pour out your blessing on those who love your name. Cause me to love your name more today. Cause me to walk in the path of your commands. Create in me a true spirit of worship and dependence on you. And may I see your blessings providing for my safety and my joy. Today I trust and delight in your name. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Arlow Carey Underlined Bible

John Stott's Daily Prayer

The Lord is God - Journal for 3/24/11