Listening with your Heart – 4/12/11

Scripture: Romans 10:8-11

"...it is with your heart that you believe and are justified..."

Observation:

The word is near you - very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart. (see Deuteronomy 30:14). Jesus also said that the two of them are connected when it comes to my speech (see Luke 6:45).

The word that is planted in the heart bears its fruit through my lips. What I say is an indication of what is happening in my heart. If my heart is full of the presence of the Lord, then my speech will represent him. Here is a good indicator of the state of my heart.

Application:

I know that as a teacher my words mean a great deal. I also know that when words are public there is a good chance that I'll slip up and say stupid things. That's being part of humanity. But what is the overall tenor of my conversation?

Today I will watch my words carefully. Not to hold my tongue, but to try hard to evaluate the state of my heart through observing the words that I speak (and write).

Prayer:

Today, Lord, I surrender my words and my heart to your control. Overtake me by the power of your love and transform my heart. Cause me to love your word and your sovereign rule over me. May my words today be words of grace and mercy and truth. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, Lord, my rock and my redeemer. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Arlow Carey Underlined Bible

John Stott's Daily Prayer