Seeds of Truth - 4/15/11

Scripture: Psalm 19:7-11

Observation:

The law, statutes, precepts, etc. are more than simple words, they are the words of God and they bring delight to the soul.

The poetic structure of this psalm goes beyond a few observations. I remember from prior studies that this section is part of the chiastic form of the larger Psalm. The first part of the Psalm draws attention to how God reveals himself to all people through his creation. The last verses deal with God's very specific revelation to the individual through his thoughts, meditations, and prayers. The focus of the Psalm is on these verses - which highlight God's unique revelation to all who have the Word of God.

Just a quick note here on why I love the Old Testament so much. At the time of this writing there was no New Testament. In fact, many of the prophets had yet to be born. But David speaks so passionately about the Word that you can't help but be drawn to it. He isn't just talking about the stories and the miracles - though they are there. He isn't just talking about the prophecies of Christ - though they are there. He isn't just reflecting on the promises of God's goodness - though they are there. He isn't meditating on the character of God through the wisdom literature - though that is certainly there. He is addressing the Laws of God as revealed through Moses.

As a king of Israel he was required to hand-write his own copy of the Pentateuch so that he would know its requirements. David is expressing here a first-hand love of this law, the precepts, the commands and so forth. It is the law that governs behavior and the precepts that provide the foundation for a just and generous society. The fear of the Lord is the basis for all wisdom and the way that we approach a holy God.

David drinks it all in and absolutely gushes in his delight in the words of the Lord. They are like water in a desert. They are light in dark places. They are truth in a world of relativity. They are life-giving morsels in a land of spiritual famine.

Oh how I love your law.

Application:

The Lord has still been impressing me with new thoughts as I meditate on all of the themes of plants that grow. Maybe it's the spring (sort of - maybe snow tomorrow), but I have been reflecting on so many thoughts of planting and harvesting.

The parable of the Sower and the Seeds (Matthew 13)

The Lord of the Harvest (Luke 10:2)

Oaks of Righteousness (Isaiah 61:3) and a garden (Isaiah 61:11)

The harvest as a sign of God's blessing (Psalm 67:6)

None of these themes were conceived ahead of time as I selected the verses for the 40 days. But God has been using them to remind me that what is sown will eventually be harvested. Where the seed is cast the fruit will last. (OK, that's a pretty bad rhyme...)

Prayer:

Today, Lord cultivate the soil of my heart anew. Turn over the earth and upset the compacted places of my heart. Freely plow up the weeds and break up the hard soil. Plant your word deep in my mind and heart today as I feast on your truth. Bring joy and delight to me as I follow your commands. May this day be one of planting new seeds and also a season of bearing fruit. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, Lord, my rock and my redeemer. Amen.


 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Arlow Carey Underlined Bible

John Stott's Daily Prayer