In his love – 4/6/11


Scripture: Psalm 91:14-15
Observation:
The Lord's protection is for those who love him and show it by obedience to his Word. The protection is just one of God's blessings on his followers:
  • rescue (v 14)
  • protection (v 14)
  • answered prayer (v 15)
  • presence in trouble (v 15)
  • deliverance (v 15)
  • honor (v 15)
  • longevity (v 16)
  • salvation (v 16)
That's quite a list! It seems so strange to me that there are so many critics of Christianity who claim that God robs them of joy. I look at this list here and can only offer thanks to a generous God who pours out his blessings on his people.
These blessings are for those who: love him, acknowledge his name, and call on him in trouble.Jesus said that if we love him we will obey his commands. (John 15:9-14) He also indicated that if we remain in his love, then we God will hear and answer prayers (John 15:7). A final link between this passage in Psalm 91 and our John 17 passage is the reference to the name. John 17:11 tells us that our protection comes through the name (strength, might, power, care) of the Lord. Those who acknowledge his name are offered the protection afforded his family.
Application:There are three points here that apply to me today.Love him - I need to live within an abiding (Jn 15) relationship with Christ today. I need to invite his presence in every decision, every conversation, every relationship, every thought. Today I want to live in his love for me and to turn on every "love receptor" I have. I long to find encouragement and refreshment and grace from him and to dwell within his love.
Acknowledge his name - I belong to Jesus. First and foremost I am a follower of Christ. My deepest satisfaction in life comes from being united with him.
Ask for his blessing - I need to remember to come to him at appointed times as well as throughout the day. I need to ask him to help me admit my weaknesses and to see his strength.
Prayer:
Today, Lord Jesus, I acknowledge your name. I belong to you. As your child I come today to live in your presence and to be surrounded by your love. I am not alone. I am protected and sheltered by your love. Surround me today and shower your love upon me as I seek your face. ?May I find my greatest joy in knowing you and discovering the good works which you have laid out before me. As I study and write and listen and talk today, guide me and walk with me. I live today in your presence. Thank you for sharing your life and your love with me. I live today in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Arlow Carey Underlined Bible

John Stott's Daily Prayer

The Lord is God - Journal for 3/24/11